By Jewel Shoaga, Personal Trainer and Group Instructor
Umm, yup… I guess many of you have said this before? So what do you do now? Do you ignore the scale? Do you ignore the tightening hints of your pants? Of course not! Right? Well, let me be honest it doesn’t always go like that in my head. I may have to go through a couple “stages of loss.” These stages may include apathy, depression and excuses. Apathy: The evil voice on one shoulder whispers, “start tomorrow and eat that big piece of cake.” Depression: “I am just going to be fat and frumpy the rest of my life. I will just invest in tights and moo moos.” Excuses: Well, just fill in the blank.
Alright, now that we are past that, let us get REAL. For whatever reason the scale is up. Let us be FORWARD FOCUS and make a game plan! Here are 10 things I have done, that are proven to work for me. Oh and by the way I have lost over 140 lbs, then had a baby, and now am still losing the last of that baby weight. I am in the boat with you. Let’s do this together!
- Write down everything you put in your mouth. Get one of those apps (i.e. My Fitness Pal). Just doing this may prevent you for grabbing for those high calorie snacks.
- Drink water (half your body weight in ounces).
- Write out your current priorities, right now, in one column and in the other column write where you want your priorities to be.
- Make a game plan on how to organize your personal life to align with your weight loss goals.
- Enlist your family, friends, co-workers and professionals to help motivate and give you tips on your way.
- Eat protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains (get a professional to help you with this).
- MOVE! (find creative ways to raise that heart rate)
- Measure your waist, hips, biceps, thighs, calves, chest and neck. You will lose inches, sometimes faster than pounds. Then, check it in 30 days.
- Have an accountability partner.
- Challenge yourself to make 4 healthy choices in a day. Then, the next day make 5 great choices. Next, create 6 positive choices. Connect that “Mind, Body and Spirit.” Remember this is a Lifestyle transformation, so you can’t neglect the other parts of your life.