Let’s face it, no matter how much we can turn around our nutrition habits everyone has a guilty pleasure when it comes to junk food. Provided below are healthy food swaps for common junk foods that we all have craved at some point. After reading this you’ll be able to enjoy your favorite junk foods in a healthier, alternative form that will leave you guilt free and satisfied!
Snacks like chips, pretzels, and foods that can easily be grabbed in handfuls here and there can really take a chunk out of your daily caloric intake without even realizing it. Salty snacks like chips have close to zero nutritional value resulting in short-term satisfaction. Think about it, when’s the last time you had one handful of tortilla chips when out to eat for Mexican food?
Healthy food swaps to chips & salty snacks:
- Sweet & Tangy flavored almonds or pistachios
- Kale chips
- Beef or turkey jerky
- Apple chips
- Bean & rice chips
- Sweet potato chips
- Lightly seasoned edamame veggie snacks
- Homemade veggie chips (you can thinly slice almost anything and bake it into a chip)
- Roasted chickpeas
- Endive leaves for dipping instead of chips
We also tend to crave other carb loaded treats like pizza, mac & cheese, and bread & pasta-based dishes. Yes, they’re all delicious but they usually make you feel tired and sluggish after eating them because your body has to work in overdrive to breakdown and store all of the sugars that are loaded into these heavy carb foods.
Healthy food swaps to high-carb foods:
- Lettuce wraps instead of taco shells
- Portabello mushrooms instead of hamburger buns
- Eggplant instead of sliced bread
- Instead of French fries try sliced carrots/butternut squash
- Instead of lasagna noodles try eggplant or zucchini
- Cauliflower is a great substitute for pizza crust, mac & cheese or mashed potatoes!
- Oatmeal pancakes instead of flour-based pancakes OR try oatmeal & cottage cheese banana pancakes! J
- Instead of pasta try:
- Organic soybean spaghetti
- Spaghetti squash
- Sweet potato noodles
- Black bean spaghetti
- Shredded cabbage
- Shirataki noodles
Like foods that are heavy in carbohydrates, sugary treats cause a huge spike in blood sugar because of the release of insulin in response to sugar intake. This can cause a vicious, repeating cycle of spikes in energy and an increase in the sugar cravings followed with an abrupt plummet of energy. A healthier way to get your sugar cravings in is to find healthy food swaps that will still satisfy your sweet tooth without putting your blood sugar through a rollercoaster of dips and dives.
Healthy food swaps to sweets:
- Almond butter over peanut butter
- Greek yogurt parfait instead of ice cream
- Smoothies instead of ice cream
- KIND bars
- Baked apples stuffed with oats instead of cobbler
- Frozen grapes or fruit kabobs
- Fruit and cottage cheese
- A square or two of dark chocolate
- Low sugar sorbet
- Hot cocoa w/ skim milk or almond milk
- Nuts w/ a little honey drizzled on to
Below is a video of Bonza Bodies’ trainer Kayla sharing some of her favorite healthy food swaps!
If you have any questions regarding a trial workout at Bonza Bodies or interested in our specialized nutrition plan feel free to email us at email@example.com